Can back-to-school season be here already? I haven’t been in school in a very long time, and I have no kids to make me eagerly look forward to the first day of school, but I do love me some school supplies. Boxes of brand-new pencils, stacks of brightly-colored post-it notes, spiral notebooks with nary a jot in them – these all excite me.
But, if you ask me, the most exciting school supply is the pencil case.
A pencil case keeps your pens and pencils from getting lost in your book bag. It keeps ink from getting all over your books. And, if you’re a grown up, it can hold a small amount of makeup, a handful of safety pins, and a couple of, eh, feminine products, without taking over your entire purse.
These pencil cases are really easy to sew and, because they’re small, you can use scraps from your fabric stash or less than half of a fat quarter. Make a few for yourself and your favorite student and your favorite teacher.
What you’ll need to make a 9×3″ bag:
- 2 pieces of fabric, cut to 10×5″ for the outside of the bag (I used scraps of my Palmer Method Linen)
- 2 pieces of fabric, cut to 10×5″ for the bag’s lining (I used muslin)
- 9″ zipper
- Scissors or a rotary cutter
- Pins (I prefer to use quilting pins, which are longer than standard pins)
- A sewing machine with a zipper foot
1. Cut 1.5″ squares from the bottom corners of the outside fabric and the lining.
2. On your outer pieces, fold the top down 1/2″ and iron.
3. Place the folded edges close to the zipper and pin.
4. Using your zipper foot, stitch the fabric close to the folded edge.
5. Next, pin the top of your lining to the wrong side of the zipper. I used muslin for my lining, but if you’re using a printed fabric, make sure that the right side of the lining is the side that’s being pinned to the zipper. If you’ve pinned correctly, when you flip the lining over, it should align pretty closely with the outer fabric of the bag, wrong sides facing each other.
6. Still using your zipper foot, stitch the lining to the zipper
7. Now, lay the bag out flat, right sides of the outer fabric facing each other. If you followed Step 5 correctly, the right sides of the lining should face each other, too. Open the zipper 3-4″. Pin everything together, the zipper tape facing the lining.
8. Put your universal foot back on your machine. Sew all sides (but not the 1.5″ squares you cut out of the corners) using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Leave a 3-4″ opening at the bottom of the lining so you can pull everything through at the end.
9. Here’s the tricky part – we’re going to box the corners so that the bag lies flat. Match the side seam to the bottom seam and pin.
10. Sew the boxed corners using a 3/8″ seam allowance.
11. Pull the fabric through the 3-4″ hole in the lining.
12. Turn right side out, pin the opening in the lining closed, and sew.
13. Press the bag. Fill it with school supplies!
(And 14. Make so many you have to give them away.)
21 thoughts on “How to: make a zippered bag”
Looooove this pencil bag! I usually make mine in oilcloth (http://cupandpenny.com/post/5105186401/diy-oilcloth-pencil-pouch), but I never thought to make one that looks like lined paper. So clever!
You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to
be really something which I think I would never understand.
It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to
get the hang of it!
I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet visitors, its really really fastidious piece
of writing on building up new webpage.
If you are going for most excellent contents like me, just
pay a quick visit this web site daily as it provides feature contents, thanks
An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting a
little homework on this. And he actually ordered me lunch simply because I discovered
it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about
this topic here on your site.
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of
any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and
I look forward to your new updates.
Very good website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew
of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get
opinions from other knowledgeable individuals that share
the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please
let me know. Thanks!
I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am
not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody
else know such detailed about my difficulty. You are wonderful!
I simply want to say I am just very new to blogging and honestly loved you’re website. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have fabulous well written articles. Cheers for sharing your blog site.
Oh my benefits! an impressive article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing concern with ur rss. Don?t recognize why Not able to subscribe to it. Exists anyone getting similar rss issue? Anyone who recognizes kindly respond. Thnkx
Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boringâ€¦ I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on!
This is the appropriate blog for any individual that intends to find out about this topic. You recognize a lot its virtually hard to say with you (not that I actually would want?HaHa). You most definitely put a brand-new spin on a subject thats been written about for many years. Terrific stuff, simply fantastic!
An impressive share, I just provided this onto a coworker that was doing a little analysis on this. As well as he actually acquired me morning meal due to the fact that I found it for him. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the reward! However yeah Thnkx for investing the moment to discuss this, I really feel strongly concerning it as well as love learning more on this subject. Ideally, as you become knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly handy for me. Huge thumb up for this blog post!
I very happy to find this website on bing, just what I was looking for : D too bookmarked .
Youre so great! I do not mean Ive read anything such as this prior to. So wonderful to discover somebody with some original ideas on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this site is something that is needed on the internet, someone with a little creativity. valuable job for bringing something new to the web!
There are certainly a great deal of information like that to take into account. That is a terrific indicate raise. I offer the thoughts above as basic ideas but clearly there are questions like the one you raise where one of the most vital point will certainly be working in truthful good faith. I don?t understand if finest practices have actually emerged around points like that, yet I make certain that your task is plainly identified as a fair game. Both children and also ladies really feel the effect of just a moment?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
This is the best blog site for anyone who intends to learn about this topic. You understand a lot its almost difficult to argue with you (not that I in fact would want?HaHa). You most definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been covered for many years. Terrific things, just wonderful!
I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re wonderful! Thanks!
Youre so trendy! I do not expect Ive read anything similar to this before. So nice to locate somebody with some original ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that is required on the internet, somebody with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!
Asking questions are in fact fastidious thing if you are not understanding something fully, however this post gives pleasant understanding
I always used to read piece of writing in news papers but now
as I am a user of net thus from now I am using net for
content, thanks to web.
Comments are closed.