Greetings from smoky San Francisco! If you’ve been following the news, you’ll know that California is in the middle of the worst fire season in recorded history. But that’s not why I’m writing. I’m writing to tell you about a project I’ve been helping to organize: Textile Artists for Movement Voter Project.Movement Voter Project is an organization that funds and supports local groups that do community outreach work year-round in crucial swing states. These are the states that will determine the outcome of the 2020 election.
A group of us (Chi Nguyen, Erin M. Riley, Betty Farrell, and me) have been organizing textile artists around the November election to win back the White House and the Senate. Over 100 artists have banded together to raise funds for Movement Voter Project. Participating artists are raising funds through auctions and sales of their work. Here’s a round up of a number of their efforts so far. Please support them and support Movement Voter Project in turn!
- Chelsea Amato is selling a “Silence is Compliance” hand-embroidered patch in her Etsy Shop. All proceeds will be donated to the Movement Voter Project.
- Laura Kamian McDermott is selling greeting cards with images of their tapestry weaving and other textile works on the front. More information here.
- The Fiberhouse Collective created a small batch of handmade mycopaper, with 100% of the proceeds from sales from bundles ($45 for a set of 3 sheets) going to Movement Voter Project. More information here.
- Weaver (and committee co-chair!) Erin M. Riley is selling a limited-edition postcard set. More information here.
- Indie yarn dyer A Verb for Keeping Warm will be donating 10% of their sales of AVFKW products listed here on Friday, September 11th and Saturday, September 12th to MVP.
- Caroline Wayne is hosting a live Instagram auction through Sunday, September 13, of a work from the “Daily Calibrate In Isolation” series; drawings from the initial NYC COVID-19 lockdown period, made as physical mediations to the beat of their favorite disco playlist. View and bid here.
- Weaver Alicia Scardetta is offering two original “mini-tapestries” on her online shop with 100% of sales benefiting the Movement Voter Project. The one of-a-kind tapestries will be available for purchase here beginning Friday, September 11 at 10:00 AM EDT.
- Amy L. Frazer has opened up 5 spots for Fabric Collage House Portraits with 50% of the profits being donated to MVP. Purchase here.
- Donate for a custom wall hanging from Abby Loomis, 100% of your donation goes to MVP. More information here.
Upcoming next week and beyond:
- seemakrish will be selling quilting bundles consisting of upcycled pieces of their handmade, block printed & embroidered interior textiles beginning September 14. These always sell quickly, so be sure to follow them on Instagram or visit their shop on Monday.
- Jamie Goldenberg is auctioning off one-of-a-kind artworks and pillows via Instagram and their website at 10 am September 14-18. 100% of proceeds will go to MVP.
- Rachel Meade Smith is auctioning a few abstract weavings made of jute and sisal, beginning September 14. More information is here.
- Melanie Tuazon is auctioning off a 13″ square patchwork mini quilt made completely by hand on Instagram from September 15 through 18. Follow her here.
- Caitlin Parker will be auctioning off a 12”x16” cyanotype still life on linen stretched on panel, Wednesday September 16th at 9 am through Thursday September 17th at 6pm (PST) on Instagram. Follow her here to bid when the auction opens.
- Artists Take Action will be doing a joint MVP auction with at least 12 artists on Artists Take Action, an Instagram auction that has raised over $60K over the last 4 years for non-profits doing good work in everything from climate change to social justice to COVID relief. The auction will run 9/24-9/25. Follow them here. NOTE: the auction currently running does not benefit MVP; only the 9/24 auction will.
- Starting 9/19, Tali Weinberg will be hosting an Instagram sale of 10 weaving-inspired drawings and small textile works. Follow Tali here.
I will be announcing the next round of art fundraisers (including mine!) next week. In the meantime, please follow #textiles4MVP on Instagram. If you’re a textile artist in the US who would like to get involved, you can email me for more information. And if you’d like to donate directly to Movement Voter Project, you can do so here.